Search This Blog

Saturday, December 16, 2006

You

Time magazine announced it's "Person of the Year" and they chose you. Not you really, but the average, everyday person. The title "Person of the Year" is supposed to highlight the man, woman, idea, or movement that most influenced the year. The choice of "you" is supposed to highlight the movement of the average person coming up and making their voice be known through the many user friendly services. Services such as Blogger, Wikipedia, Facebook, My Space, Black Planet, Flickr, and You Tube. I agree that user friendly services have had a major impact on this year. I do not agree with their choice. Had I had an input I would have cast my vote for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I am not claiming that he is a good person. The truth is that he has influenced this year in more ways than anyone else. I say this because since the begining of the year he has been in the news. He of course is pursueing Nuclear power, he says to help power his nation, not weapons. Whether he is telling the truth about this is uncertain to me I can't just dismiss what he says. Nuclear power is a good, but dangerous source of power. Then his ardent speech at the United Nation. Ahmadinejad gave a speech which he shows clearly that he believes in what he says is not just some power hungry terroist despot. Then His fervent hatred of Israel. Ahmadinejad's misguidence about Israel is not in question. You can not deny that this hatred of Israel is a major factor in International politics. It drives all politics in the Middle East. The United States is heavily tied in with that region so it affects our life here, and from us to the rest of the world, seeing that the U.S. is the only superpower left. I am not saying that Ahmadinejad is a good person, but just because someone isn't good does not mean you can't respect him and his influence on the world. Ahmadinejad's stirring speech at the UN showed me that whether imprudent or not are sincere. He to me seems that his belief come from actual thought out means. Unlike other bad men he sat down and formed his own opinion. Right or wrong you have got to respect that, in a world filled with people who rarely make their own opinion he did. That is my selection and why I chose him for "Person of the Year" So who do you think should be "Person of the Year"?

13 comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

So who do you think should be "Person of the Year"?
I always catch hell for this, but what the heck. Sticks and stones.

I think of the man of the year as who has had the biggest impact on the world. Based on that criterion, it has to be Osama Bin Ladin.

Single handedly, he was the driving force behind the start of two wars, the destruction of Democracy in the last country to practice it, and near unnanmous worldwide hatred of one country.

As you can see, it's my opinion "Man Of The Year" is eye and ear candy, for we seem to inevitably assume it has to be/should be, some one who has done good.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I'm using a beta identity, but it's still Enemy of the Republic--I just used the name of my blog.


I agree with you. It almost felt like they were tossing us a bone so that we wouldn't get too mad about how fucked up everything is. Every now and then, Time gets it right: they chose Gandi once, I believe they chose Rabin, I think they also chose King. But there are people less known who do great things. And why does it have to be anyone? We all in our own way do our part. Who is making the world a better place? The digital world simplifies things while complicating them as well. Is this progress?


I don't know who deserves it or even if the category should exist (actually I don't), but I would like to see Americans and all of us in the West get more educated about Islam. I began doing it this year with intensity, and I feel like I am better informed as to why everything is so confused. Islam is a peaceful, beautiful religion that like all faiths, got warped and twisted. I wonder if Time has the balls to name Islam person of the year.

Raven Calister said...

You do realize that Iran has developed an underwater missile capable of destroying American Submarine models right? You do realize that the Iranian President was not voted into power right? You do of course realize that Iranians protested against him. You do realize that Iran sponsors state terrorism right?

What deeply disturbs me is that you said "I respect him" for whatever reason.

Impressionist said...

Thanx mate!
naah! I couldn't think Of any topic write upon since many days!
So i'm posting some of my poems now :)


Peace & Love
Rajeev.

Raven Calister said...

I realize there is something I need to clarify more in the future.

“Hairbrained idea”: IMO talking with Iran and Syria. This idea was actually not your idea first, it was the new Liberal “Iraq Study Group’s” idea, therefore, how you extrapolated ridicule on your part was actually ridicule on their part. I have never nor will ever ridicule you personally, but I will jump up and down at our elected officials and their share of “hairbrained” idea’s all I want because it seems to pass the time (I’m a college student, what you think I have something better to do?). However, I will criticize, and I expect criticism in return, but I won’t put you down. Hope this clarifies things. And keep commenting, it makes it look like a lot of people read my blog (lol).


Getting back on topic. My pick for 2006 Person of the Year: Elijah Wood (Happy Feet man! Anyone who beats out James Bond at the box office deserves person of the year!)

Anonymous said...

There are many countries in the world who talk with other countries without actually condoning any of their actions. In fact, America has done it (Nixon's talks with communist China comes to mind). So our elitist attitiude that we won't talk to you unless we agree with you isn't on the same playing field as our past history or the way other countries work.
Just a thought.

Muhd Imran said...

President Bush, I think should be the one.

In Singapore, he has been almost in every page of the newspaper of all languages and almost everyday. He also made a 2-day stopover here a month ago.

From worship to ridicules. He is probably the most photographed person this year.

Whether he did good for his people and the people of the world or the total opposite, he is the man everyone loves, and everyone else loves to hate.

Anonymous said...

I always find it interesting what the rest of the world thinks of America and her leaders. That's one of the reasons I listen to the BBC on a regular basis. It informs me, but it's not a source right inside the 'American bubble'. I think it's easy for Americans to forget that there's a whole big world out there that lives their lives apart from "US".
Intriging observation about President Bush, Imran.

billie said...

hugo chavez. he was an agitator to the nth degree this year and has been all over- from cuba to iran to recently- malaysia. not to mention his speech at the un- and the various other news bites.

although i do think bloggers played a big role in the political scene that has had an effect here and abroad.

won tong said...

C-DELL WE NEED TO TALK...GOT SOME STUFF TO BLOW YOUR MIND.. IF YOU WILL LOOK INTO IT.. HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY AND EACH DAY. THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG AND ALL THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS..

won tong said...

IMRAN YOU MY DEAR ARE RIGHT ON. I VOTED FOR PRESIDENT BUSH AS AN INDEPENDENT AND NO REGRETS. HE'S DONE HIS BEST IF YOU LOOK AT THE BIG BIG BIGGER PICTURE. MOST PEOPLE ARE TO IN THE DARK TO EVEN KNOW. LIKE THE BIBLE SAYS IN THE LAST DAYS GOOD WILL BE BAD AND BAD WILL BE REGARDED AS GOOD.. I DON'T THINK SO BUT SO MANY ARE DUPED AND DON'T KNOW GOD'S WORD.. " MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE" GOOD COMMENT IMRAN!

X. Dell said...

When I first read that about Time's selection for man of the year, I thought, "Cool. That would look really good on my resume."

Then again, we could be a kind of new wave. I think it's a bit early to tell, though. I keep fearing that cyberspace may someday be under martial law.

DirkStar said...

What?

You wanna take away my award?

Man, can't the common man ever get a little love?

And the wife says, link us up and thanx!