Search This Blog

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Incompetence

I was watching the news and I saw the most shameful thing. Boston Police Department's Bomb Squad mistook an ad for an upcoming movie as an explosive device. They shut down a large portion of the city. The two men hire to put the ads up were arrested for "perpetuating a hoax" The ad had lights on it that were run by two batteries. the "device" looks nothing like a bomb up close. From far maybe, but I doubt it very much. The arrest of the two men seems to me to be nothing more that the City of Boston trying to shift the blame. The city wasted money, time, and disrupted the daily lives of it citizens over an ad. Boston is embarrassed as it should be. I just think it is shameful that the city would pass the guilt to save face. How these two men could possibly be convicted is beyond me. The two men were not intending for the ads to be mistaken for bombs. The ads were in nine other cities and no other police departments mistook the ads for explosive devices. This to me seems to show a growing trend in America to not own up to our mistakes. If you screw up then say so. No one wants to take responsibility. It is one thing when you see this in celebrities. It sad that individuals in the public eye who are looked up to won't take responsibility, but when the govn't of an entire city won't what does that say about our culture. I could maybe see the police department doing this. Cops tend to have a "look out for your own" mentality, but the DA's office is in on it to. Those two men do not deserve to be convicted on felony charges. I honestly hope these two men get off. They did nothing wrong. The Boston Department screwed up. What it all comes down to is that the buck has to stop somewhere.

This is the "Bomb"

11 comments:

Sornie said...

This is just another way "the man" is standing in the way of some pretty kick-ass marketing ideas I toss around on a daily basis with my co-workers. God, people are stupid and far too fearful.

pissed off patricia said...

It wasn't even a hoax as no one claimed or threatened anything. The cops over reacted and now they are pissed at themselves but they pretend to be pissed at the kids. They're taking a page out of our prez's book. How long will it be before they blame this on Iran or Clinton?

Anne said...

to me it proved that more people need to watch more cartoons! unreal. i admit to watching "aqua teen hunger force"-so it really made me laugh that people would not get the joke. paranoia and fear keep people in line, like pop said. here on the west coast, some of the same "bombs" were placed in san francisco. people reacted less neurotically, i read yesterday. what a world.

X. Dell said...

You'd think with all those top-notch universities in the area, the Boston police would be a tad smarter.

Pissed Off Patricia, I'm pretty sure someone on the right has already blamed Clinton...and gays, and minorities, and feminists, and immigrants, and....

msliberty said...

The person/s responsible for the BRILLIANT marketing campaign deserve a raise.

The reporter who described the event as a "hoax" does not. But I'll chip in to buy him/her a dictionary.

Robert E. Morgan, Jr. said...

When I was a child there was this particular public service announcement that I never really understood. The premise was basically not to shout fire in a crowd. The character was "Chicken Little," he ran around screaming that the sky was falling after a pebble hit him in the head. Maybe they should play this PSA for the Boston brass. The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I saw tonight that the Turner Broadcasting Co. (one's responsible for the "bombs"), has agreed to repay all costs incurred by the city.

Your post was very good. I also see it in another light: From our President, down to our street level law enforcement, there is a move underfoot to make us "vewy vewy scared" and try to keep us that way.

Big Boom The Terrorist Says: "Only I can keep you safe, so obey me mindlessly!!"

Smoky, where are you when we need you?

Enemy of the Republic said...

Oh, Lord have mercy. Just when you think you've heard it all and then this comes about. It sounds like the passing of the buck is the covering of their rear. I know Boston well; I can only imagine the traffic hell.

Anonymous said...

I agree- this would be a nightmare in Boston. I don't think they teach "merging" in Bostonian driver's ed- lol!

Muhd Imran said...

As an outsider looking in, this sounds outrageous and paranoid on the part of the police department.

I guess the intention was right - to protect civilians, but I definitely think it is better to own-up any mistakes made or misunderstandings as the police are human too after all.

The good sense will be the justice department now to not convict the two innocent Ad employees for this rather silly mistake.

What does the Ad company have to say in defence to protect their employees?

Impressionist said...

Neva knew that the boston police were so dumb :P
lol!
Sorry i haven been able to visit ur blog lately! Have been very busy wid my projects!


Peace & Love
Rajeev