Search This Blog

Friday, February 29, 2008

100

This is my one hundredth post, I could tell a story about how it's been a long time, how proud I am and all that jazz. I am not going to do that. This post is my "black" history post, but I am going in a whole other direction with this post. I hate BET. This network is so horrible that it should not be allowed to be on during black history month. This network stand for the exact opposite of what we are supposed to be celebrating. All the deaths, beating, dog bites, water hoses, arrest, sit ins , marches. All of that was so BET could show videos that promote a lifestyle that main cause of all the despair and degradation in the black community. BET shows videos, and old stereotypical TV shows. Where are the quality shows? BET only shows negative images of black people, they are images that show black people as loud, ghetto, criminals, and just generally bad depictions of us as a people. On Fridays they show movies, they call the movies "Blackbuster" movies. The movies that are shown, almost always involve prison, drug dealers, and movies that are of bad quality. Why is this the representative of our community to the world. In the end BET is a hip-hop/rap network, these people cater to the populace. What about Jazz, or a news show. BET tried this but wasn't attracting the audience that they want. Black Entertainment Television, more like Black Embarrassment Television. This show is a slap in the face to Dr. King, Malcolm X, Garret Morgan, Frederick Douglass, Dred Scott, and all the others that fought for the rights of black people in America. These people also pushed forward the thinking of America as a whole for the better. BET is not the legacy we should leave for them. This network is shameful attempt at something good. I hate BET

12 comments:

billie said...

ah- but middle class white teens love it- hence why it's still on. big demographic who buys the music and keeps the spin going.

sorry to be so cynical but congrats! on you 100th post. :) thinking people like you are the future of the planet c-dell. not just america.

X. Dell said...

What's interesting is that fifteen years ago, one of the biggest complaints about BET was that it was very white--some called it Ebony on the air (which it kinda was), and that it wasn't "real" (whateer the hell that means. That's when it was a proprietary (i.e. privately owned) company that held high ideals.

When Viacom bought out Robert Johnson, however, they were all about giving the consumer what it expected. And Betmo's right in that they'll play to the demographic that rings the advertising revenue's cash register the loudest.

So, congratulations on your 100th post.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Both Betmo and X-Dell hit the nail on the head.

You wrote a classic for your 100th post, my friend!! I'm a "white boy who doesn't know how to stay white" was the way I was described years ago, when I joined the civil rights movement, and marched with them.

All the deaths, beating, dog bites, water hoses, arrest, sit ins , marches. All of that was so BET could show videos that promote a lifestyle that main cause of all the despair and degradation in the black community.
You will never know what those words mean to me. I felt I had wasted those years; everything has became so "my color is right no matter what" reactionary.

On behalf of those I marched with that are now gone, on behalf of those I saw first hand take a rock to the head, on behalf of those I saw first hand beaten to their knees, I thank you thru tears, from my heart!! Maybe, just maybe, it was worth it after all.

Granny said...

Future is Yesterday sent me and I echo what he said.

I don't like BET either but never spoke up for fear of being labeled racist.

Betmo is right - the networks sell what people will buy. It isn't just BET. I remember when A&E and Bravo were at the top of my list. They sold out years ago.

Congratulations on your 100th post. I added you to my feeder list and I'll be back.

Meantime, I invite you to visit me, Worried American, and Gadfly (3 very senior female citizens) at Is America Burning, my other blog.

(Not that you can't drop in on Roc Rebel Granny of course but it's not very political - more family oriented.)

Ann (aka granny)

Granny said...

That link didn't work from my end.

It's

http://isamericaburning.blogspot.com

if the "link" doesn't work for you either.

TomCat said...

TUA sent me over and I echo most of what's been said here. I've seen some great entertainment from black actors and heard great music from black artists, but on BET, it's nowhere to be found. Great 100th post.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on keeping it real, and thank you for being real.

It's your generations turn, and it's your generation that has the best chance of casting off the greed and superficiality of the MSM and it subsidiaries in corporate America.

I was not part of the generation Future speaks of, I'm part of the generation that sparred, but never quite merged. I hope yours will finish the task. I would one day like to watch the news again.

Robert E. Morgan, Jr. said...

I think you are coming full circle. I see you remember some of the talks we had. I am so proud. But don't go republican on me =)

Anonymous said...

I don't hate BET, I just don't particularly care for it. Actually, I hate TV!! :) I don't watch TV anymore, and when I do, it's never BET!

anyway...I hope you are doing well!!

P. Maestro said...

excellent post. . . i did a few posts on BET myself, one on them just being a plain old embarassment and one of how they snubbed C.S.K. and showed music videos instead of her funeral . . .sigh*

but yeah, BET stays alive b/c of blacks and whites, which makes it even worse. . .

Enemy of the Republic said...

I think I've only watched it once, but I don't have cable.

Sorry I've been AWOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of hombre who loves to seek unprecedented things. Presently I am constructing my private photovoltaic panels. I'm doing it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I'm using the internet as the only way to acheive that. I saw a truly awesome site which explains how to build pv panels and wind generators. The internet site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure about how accurate the information given there is. If some experts over here who had experience with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it will be great and I would extremely value it, cause I really enjoy [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. U guys are great.